Date: Friday, June 3, 2022 to Friday, June 3, 2022
Time: 12:00 am to 11:00 pm
Mabo Day commemorates Mer Island man, Eddie Koiki Mabo, and his successful efforts to overturn the legal fiction of terra nullius (land belonging to no-one); the legal concept that Australia and the Torres Strait Islands were not owned by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples because they did not ‘use’ the land in ways Europeans believed constituted legal possession.
The Mabo case was heard over ten years, and ended up in the High Court of Australia. Following the Mabo decision, Federal Parliament passed the Native Title Act 1993, which established a legal framework for native title claims throughout Australia by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Actions for Reconciliation:
- Defend Land Rights and Native Title – educate yourself about the details and history of First Nations Land Rights and Native Title in Australia, and find out about Land Justice efforts and advocacy in your local area.
- Acknowledging Country – know whose Country you’re on and the difference between Acknowledgement of Country and a Welcome to Country, and include the name of Country when posting letters and parcels.
- Care for Country – support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives, systems and knowledge on our natural environment, and learn about how climate change is going to directly affect Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- Speak up for languages – know your local area language of the Traditional Custodians of the land on which you live, and actively support First Nations language revival programs.
- Get involved beyond NRW2021 – take these actions and reflect on how you are going to move from safe to brave on issues affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples beyond NRW2021. Share with your community, family, and friends. Ask others to take their awareness, and turn it into action on reconciliation.
Read more about the Actions for Reconciliation here – https://nrw.reconciliation.org.au/actions-for-reconciliation/